vice president for finance and administration
“i believe that a college degree is a symbol of a process that can positively change people’s lives. my higher education philosophy is embedded in the sfa mission, which is to provide the highest possible quality college degree to our students. i believe that is both our professional and moral responsibility. in that endeavor, we will assist sfa students in changing life’s circumstances, attaining life dreams and helping shape new beginnings and opportunities.”
what drew you to the higher education world?
my mother provided the example for me. she was born in 1916 to east texas sharecropper parents and, through remarkable perseverance, completed a bachelor’s degree in 1940 from sam houston state university and a master’s degree from the university of texas in 1953. her higher education commitment provided opportunities for our family and helped shape my educational focus. her example provided the inspiration for me to enter college after military service and embrace life-long learning.
what do you enjoy most about your role at sfa?
i enjoy being a part of an organization that can positively change students’ lives by creating significant life opportunities. with respect to my specific job responsibilities, my role is guided by stewardship. it is a privilege to help support the academic mission of the university through the thoughtful, efficient engagement of human and financial resources.
what do you hope students gain from sfa?
i believe that our students should be developed academically, professionally and socially. to that end, sfa should strive to provide the best possible academic, career and life-developing opportunities for our students. to support our students’ life development, i believe we must help students understand the importance of ethical standards, support initiatives to enhance communication skills and provide opportunities to promote the importance of social relationships and responsibilities.
what are you passionate about outside of your role at sfa?
my christian faith is the basis for my life’s perspective. my family is the most important focal point of my life. it is important to me to communicate and reflect values to my children and grandchildren that will help guide them in life’s opportunities and decision-making. with respect to personal interests, i enjoy playing music, hunting, fishing and farming. i enjoy those activities and moments with family members.
education and experience
- vice president for finance and administration
- associate vice president for budget and finance
- sfa 101 instructor (1998-2006)
- director, financial services
- business manager
- assistant business manager
- adjunct faculty economics and finance
- u.s. army (1973-1976)
- doctor of higher education administration
texas A&M University
- certificate in nonprofit management
texas A&M University Bush School
- master of business administration
- bachelor of business administration in accounting
awards / achievements
- u.s. army national defense service medal
- alphi chi, professional honor fraternity
- beta gamma sigma, professional business fraternity
- phi mu alpha sinfonia, professional music fraternity
- stephen f. austin state university’s president achievement award (1997)
- u.s. army certificate of achievement for outstanding service (1975)
- pi lambda theta, professional educators’ honor fraternity